The Human Side of Selling and Keeping More
Phew! If you got through that tome-like article on Pareto charts, you’re to be commended. I thank you for sticking with it and hope you were able to extract some value from my musings on Italian economists and the perils of Hollandaise sauce. And I’d like to ask your indulgence once more as we completely shift gears. I promise to keep this one brief.
Throughout this series of articles, we have focused on simple things that will make you stand out from the competition, adding more value for your partners and for your customers. Up to now, the strategies and tactics we’ve discussed have focused on operational excellence, continuous improvement and data-driven decision making.
Approaching technology sales and distribution with these handy tools and techniques will certainly distinguish you from Joe Boxmover who adds no value, but that’s only half the story. Managing a business is, fundamentally, about managing people. After all, barring super robots and artificial intelligence, no work gets done without people.
Whether you’re the CEO of a large corporation, a middle manager, an entrepreneur or even a sole proprietor with a teenaged niece you’re grooming for the business, how you manage people will impact your results. I, for one, would like to see you be the most effective manager possible – for your business’s sake, for your employees’ sake and for your sake. The next several articles will focus on just that.
I know there’s no shortage of management philosophy and advice out there. You could easily spend your commission check every month on the latest management books and have nothing to show for it. That’s why these articles will focus on specific actions and behaviors that you can implement – with little or no investment – to increase your effectiveness as a manager of people.
I promised to be brief this time around, so I’ll simply give you a sneak preview of the next installment. We’ll talk about the single most important thing you can do as a manager to get better results from your employees. You won’t want to miss it. Until then, hang on to your commission check.
Eryc Eyl / Freelance Writer and Business Consultant
No comments:
Post a Comment